First session at BarCampAustin -- getting Shit and Getting Shit Done with Blogs
Presentation by our favorite Redmonk Analyst Michael Cote
- He is talking about to use blogs, wiki's, search appliance, etc within the Enterprise.
- Cote's requirements for "Enterprise Blogging Systems":
- Self registration
- Easy to setup and run: you'll do all the work
- Multi-platform (for scaling)
- His advice is to do all this yourself as a skunkworks internal project. Don't wait for IT, they won't like it at first...
- The system he used included: Roller, Lyceam, WordPress, and Hosted....
- Other stuff you will want to have behind the firewall: aggregators, search, wiki's, and RSS. You need to create your own blogsphere within the Enterprise. Recommends using Newsgator Outlook plugins for new tech people.
- Best bullet point of presentation: "But I got shit and got shit done."
- There was some discussion about Stock (Wiki's) vs. Flow (blogs).
- Lots of discussion about how to sell blogs in an enterprise.
- Excellent session. Lots of discussion. Could not blog it all since I needed to chime in.